Thursday, November 16, 2017

The Future of Sinister Simian - a Post-it Note

The slow disintegration of my family and personal situation that has been growing worse for the past two or three years is now fully upon me.  My parents are gone, my home soon will be.  I have a place to go, but it will be a struggle for everyone involved, a situation I am loath to inflict on the people trying to help me.

If it is possible to return to this blog in the future and resume contributing reviews I will do so.  It won't be for awhile, and doubtful with any regularity.

I'm currently trying to cull my DVD collection, sadly.  I have a few thousand discs.

No promises.  I've got a good dozen or more Draculas (Draculae?) to go, more Stephen King, Tsukamoto's Kotoko (I still haven't see Fires on the Plain), quite a few by Sion Sono - though I don't have the same grasp on his work...I'd like to write about the 1988 remake of D.O.A., part review and part personal reaction...it's a movie about a guy who has only hours left to live, and I saw it when I was deeply depressed.  I'd like to do some Lucio Fulci or Dario Argento.   For that matter, I'm tempted to try to review Spike Lee.  Lee is an interesting case...the public Lee is kind of an asshole, but the private Lee seems to be a decent, thoughtful person...and Lee the director informs his films with all the consideration that seems to escape Public Lee when he  sounds off.  I think he's a tremendously talented (if unreliable), passionate filmmaker, provocative in ways good and bad. 

I'd also like to write about Blue is the Warmest Color or Shortbus.  Or the abysmal but fascinating trainwreck that is Caligula.  Tinto Brass wuz robbed.

Then there's the other half of Kolchak's run...and Russian Roulette, an unremarkable but highly endearing Canadian spy thriller from the '70s starring George Segal.  I have to lose my Doctor Who collection, sadly.  Space:1999, now,  that could be fun.

Wish me luck.  I have a small handful of friends who are good people and want to see me through this.  I hope to be back again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment